We would all like to hope that our children are going to behave responsibly throughout their year in Israel. However, it is important to educate your children on alcohol consumption, especially with Purim around the corner. The day after Purim, people who overindulge in drinking will feel the effects. Hangovers are awful. What happens when a person knows he/she will be drinking? Are there ways to prevent a hangover? What are hangover remedies?
A hangover is defined as disagreeable physical effects following a disproportionate amount of drinking. Symptoms may include headache, nausea, vomiting, and difficulty concentrating. It can take 8-24 hours for symptoms to go away.
Tips for Avoiding a Hangover:
- Before you go out to drink eat a full, fatty meal. The food will help slow down the absorption of alcohol and maybe prevent you from getting sick.
- Don’t drink dark-colored drinks like red wine!! They contain natural chemicals that can irritate blood vessels and make a hangover worse.
- Drink water in between each alcoholic beverage. Alcohol is a diuretic and most of the hangover symptoms are caused by dehydration. Proper hydration can eliminate many symptoms of a hangover.
- Drink 2 full cups of water before you go to sleep. Keep water by the bed in case you get thirsty.
- Drink bland liquids that are easy to digest – water, juices, vegetable soup. If you drink coffee every morning, drink it slowly.
- Sugary foods may help you feel less trembly-honey on plain cookies is a good way to ease into food.
- Unless contraindicated, take ibuprofen over the counter medication, such as Advil. Generic options in Israel include Adex and Nurofen. Make sure to take the medicine after eating something.
- A gentle, short workout may help.
- The sleep after drinking is not restful. As you begin to recover, resting and sleeping are helpful.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages for at least 2 days. This might be difficult this year, with Shabbat the day after Purim, but try to stick with grape juice if you have overindulged on alcohol!