Our previous blog here encourages parents to talk to their children about appropriate alcohol use during the holiday of Purim (or anytime!). The day after Purim, people who overindulge will feel the effects – hangovers are awful. What happens when a person knows he/she will be drinking? Are there ways to prevent a hangover? What are hangover remedies?
Tips for Avoiding a Hangover
1. Before you go out to drink, eat a full, fatty meal. The food will help slow down the absorption of alcohol.
2. Don’t drink dark-colored drinks like red wine!! They contain natural chemicals which can irritate blood vessels and make a hangover worse.
3. Drink water in between each alcoholic beverage. Alcohol is a diuretic, and most of the hangover symptoms are caused by dehydration. Proper hydration can eliminate many symptoms of a hangover.
4. Drink 2 full cups of water before you go to sleep. Keep water by the bed in case you get thirsty.
Hangover Remedies – for those of you that did not follow EMA Care tips!
1. Drink bland liquids that are easy to digest – water, juices, vegetable soup. If you drink coffee every morning, drink it slowly.
2. Sugary foods may help you feel less trembly-honey on plain cookies is a good way to ease into food.
3. Unless contraindicated, take ibuprofen over-the-counter medication, such as Advil. Generic options in Israel include Adex and Nurofen. Make sure to take medicine after eating something.
4. Exercise. A gentle, short workout may help.
5. Rest. The sleep after drinking is not restful. As you begin to recover, resting and sleeping are helpful.
6. Do not drink alcoholic beverages for at least 2 days. This year, this might be difficult with Shabbat the day after Purim, but try to stick with grape juice if you have overindulged on alcohol!
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.
Thank you for the zoom (and all your updates). It was great. I wish the news was like that. Straight forward, factual, unemotional. Bravo to both of you ladies!!
My experience with Ema Care has been so positive that I wanted to share it in case it could help someone else. Eight days ago my daughter, a Shanah Bet student, called to say she wasn’t feeling well and had symptoms of Covid-19. I was put in touch with an Infectious Disease specialist who recommended Ema Care. I reached Dr. Eliana Aaron easily and signed my daughter up. The next morning, Ema Care gave my daughter a telehealth exam and provided her with prescriptions, as well as a list of...